Did you know it takes approx 186 coffee beans to make one cup of coffee? With every single bean being picked and processed by hand, it’s a lot of work. This is why we at Sacred Grounds have been supporting Fairtrade coffee for over a decade now
If you don’t know what Fairtrade does, in essence they ensure that these hard working farmers are being paid fairly for their time so that their businesses remain sustainable.
It All Began…
…with coffee (of course!) Our passion for good coffee drove us to find beans that would also benefit the rest of the world. So in 2004, Sacred Grounds was one of the first companies in the nation to sign up with Fairtrade Australia and we’ve never looked back.
Here from our Company Director and Marketing Manager, the reasons why we love and support Fairtrade Coffee.
Things you may not know about Fairtrade:
We’ve heard our fair share of criticisms of Fairtrade over the years and there are a lot of elements to Fairtrade that often go overlooked.
So here are some things that Fairtrade does that you may not have know before:
- Producers get a say in how the system works. The international Fairtrade system is governed by the General Assembly which meets once a year. The assembly is made up of 50% producer representation and 50% National Fairtrade Organisation members.
- Fairtrade provides independent third-party certification to provide a robust and transparent audit of the supply chain process from farmer, to exporter or trader, through to manufacturer and on to the consumer.
- Fairtrade supports communities through the Fairtrade Premium. In addition to the price paid for the product, there is an additional sum of money that farmers receive for products sold on Fairtrade terms. This money goes into a communal fund for workers and farmers to use to improve their social, economic and environmental conditions.
- Empowerment of women. Fairtrade focuses on empowering women by giving them an independent income, access to training, fair wages and access to healthcare to name a few. Read more here…
- Fairtrade promotes sustainability. Fairtrade Certified environmental standards are some of the strictest in the industry. They ensure that farmers follow internationally monitored environmental standards.
Honestly, we truly believe Fairtrade is the best system in place right now for ensuring that small scale farmers are being protected. The people that work for Fairtrade openly acknowledge that their system is not perfect, which is why they are making constant changes and improvements to the way they operate.
Like Helena said in the video above, “anyone can make a difference and it can be as small as buying a Fairtrade coffee”
Follow us on Facebook to see the upcoming giveaways and specials, click here…
Fairtrade Products at Sacred Grounds: