It’s orange, it’s powdery and yes, the humble Turmeric is a super-hero when it comes to health benefits. This mighty bright spice has been used forever in cooking around the world, especially in those delicious curries but now we know how amazing this fella actually is!
Turmeric Health Benefits
Turmeric has been proven to do some pretty amazing stuff in our bodies, even on a molecular level. The most important ingredient in Turmeric is Curcumin – a compound that has a huge medicinal impact in a few amazing ways:
- Antioxidant – so according to smart people in white lab coats, Curcumin is a super-duper ‘potent’ antioxidant that obliterates nasty free radicals that can really mess up our DNA, proteins or fatty acids, causing all kinds of trouble. And the best thing about this compound is that it not only blocks these free radicals but helps the body grow more antioxidant enzymes.
- Anti-inflammatory – so long-term inflammation is not great, contributing to really awful diseases like cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer’s (just to name a few). The good news is that our friend Turmeric has mighty anti-inflammatory properties thanks to its bestie, Curcumin (once again). This incredible compound works at the molecular level to fight inflammation, to the point where some have used Turmeric in the place of full-on anti-inflammatory drugs! Too cool.
- Brain – Yep this amazing ingredient can also help your brain by increasing levels of a certain brain hormone that can possibly reverse and/or treat brain disorders, including Depression, Alzheimer’s Disease and memory loss. Wow!
Turmeric & Coffee
So why is a coffee blog focusing on Turmeric? Well, we’ve just launched a new exciting product on our web store and we think it’s awesome – Turmeric Latte Mix by Nature’s Harvest. Unlike other Turmeric Latte mixes this one has some fab ingredients including; Turmeric (of course), Cinnamon, Ginger, Cardamom, Chilli, Vanilla and Peppercorns (that aid in the absorption of nutrients in Turmeric). This delicious combo doesn’t only taste amazing but is packed full of health benefits that will make your body sing!
If you’re up for something a little different, though, we have created a ‘Dirty Turmeric’ – combining coffee and Turmeric – mwah! Yum. Here it is…
Dirty Tumeric Recipe
[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A87B2_yX-oU” width=”500″ height=”300″][su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10IqxId2VSQ” width=”500″ height=”300″][su_youtube url=”https://youtu.be/NGqg3EVwMmo”][/su_youtube]
‘Dirty Turmeric’ Recipe in Pictures
1. The Ingredients
All you need for this recipe is;
2. Make your espresso shot
We’ve used our Organic Fairtrade Certified Sacred Blend for this post
3. Add 1/2 teaspoon if Turmeric Latte Mix
4. Froth and Texture you Milk
Be careful not to over heat alternative milks, especially Soy as it will curdle
5. Add Milk to Coffee and Turmeric Latte Mix